What's new here?
11-1-03 I am officially back to bookbinding,
or maybe that should read "officially back to journaling." Even
though I'm involved making handmade paper throughout much of the year, I still
do occasional books. This past week I have been
working on a project that is almost complete, but pictures and additional
information about it can't be uploaded until November 11. And there is
information on this site about a book I did back in
September for Brian
Boggs to use for a patron sign-in book at his shop.
**Today did a bookbinding demo at the
Kentucky Artisan Center at Berea. It's a neat place, and the work
represented there is truly outstanding. I find demos a little unnerving, probably
because I have difficulty talking and working at the same time, at least if the
project requires concentration. For demos, I try to pick something to do
that requires little or no thought.
Today I worked on a simple Coptic
bound book. The covers are
handmade paper from mixed plant pulps and the spine protector is agrimony.
I also did the stitching for a quarterbound book, which I will finish in the
next few days.
11-2-03 If you're reading this strictly for
bookbinding information, bear with me for a short while. I'm still in
transition from papermaking. Today was spent test beating shredded
cotton/ramie for a friend. I pulled a few sample sheets, but the bulk of
the pulp will be used at the Berea Arts Council for a free Christmas card
This is the book that I couldn't upload information about until after the
11th. It was presented to Allison Kaiser, the Director of the Kentucky
Guild of Artists and Craftsmen at the November Board meeting. She is
leaving KGAC at the end of November to head the Lexington Art League.
Although I hate that Allison is leaving, I had a ball doing the book. It
began at the Fall Fair as loose, folded sheets on which the members wrote their
good wishes and messages. Some used
one page, some the two facing
pages, which made for an interesting time assembling the pages into
signatures. But before they were assembled, pictures from Allison's past
four and a half years were printed throughout the book. I've played
default photographer for KGAC for the last six years and so was fortunate to
have just about anything needed to make the book memorable and, at times, funny.
One of the first pages held members' head
shots snipped from one picture or another. Made for
some...interesting(?) expressions. Fortunately, these people know me and
will still be friends after this. The cloth for the cover is a cracked
paint print cotton from Wal-Mart. The spine is also cotton from the same
source. Both were backed with paper using a wheat paste. Allison's
name was printed on the same cloth as the spine, then that mounted on a very
thin sheet of davey board. This was set
into a recessed area on the cover.
I really, really wanted black ribbon to play off the black cracks in the cover,
and had it not been close to Halloween, the odds of finding it here in Berea
wouldn't have been great. But Wal-Mart had it, along with orange, which I
passed on. Once it was bound, I collected additional message for Allison
from the Mayor, City Manager and additional members of the craft community.
As I said, it was a fun book to do. **This
is a book I have been meaning to do since back in the summer when I pulled paper
especially for it. I wanted to bind it for a very special person who tried
her best to teach me sumi-e. It was a lost cause, but not the teacher's
fault. The paper for the book cover is cattail head fluff accented with a
scrimshawed deer antler. The
inside pages are a mixture of spiderword, blue fescue, hickory and cotton
rag with giant selloum inclusions. The end sheets and pastedowns are rose
mallow and curly dock leaf stems.
Back to the top